How to extend your visa in Australia?
For student visa holder with an English course for 3-6 months or 1 year, your student visa can be extended by considering these requirements.
1) Achieve your ultimate goals
You have 2 options after your English courses.
1) Continue in the higher education/research level, meaning that you can further your study to receive bachelor’s, master’s and doctor’s degree. By doing this, you are eligible to apply for a “Post Study Work Visa” or “Work Visa” for 2-4 years after your graduation. However, you must enroll in a degree level for at least 2 years which will be truely beneficial for your future full-time job application. Therefore, today’s working experiences and internship programs are included in master’s degree requirement, apart from the ability in English.
2) Continue in the vocational education and training (VET) level, meaning that you can further your study to receive a diploma either at a TAFE or public institutions. If you take a specialised course as imposed by the Australian government, you will be eligible to apply for a Post Study Work Visa” for 1.5 year after your graduation. The diploma course provides skill teaching e.g. culinary and technical studies.
This is important that you know yourself so that you can select the most appropriate course that fits your ultimate goals.
2) Develop your English skill
Each language school provides a wide range of English courses that lead you to the required level for IELTS; for example, Intermediate English equivalent to IELTS 5.0, Upper Intermediate English equivalent to IELTS 5.5, Advanced English equivalent to IELTS 6.0. Your previous English course must be taken into consideration whether you should further English course or not. In case you have not met the IELTS requirement, here are 3 options.
1) Pass IELTS as required
If you took an Intermediate English course (which was equivalent to IELTS 5.0) but you reached IELTS 6.5 in the test, your IELTS 6.5 would be regarded as the official result.
2) Pass English test of the institution
Each institute may have English aptitude test to determine your ability in English to consider whether you should take additional English course prior the main course or not.
3) Complete accredited English course
The school may accept your English results after taking a specific course within the period as agreed. Generally, IELTS 5.5-6.0 is accepted for the diploma level and IELTS 6.0-7.0 is accepted for the degree level.
3) Manage your budget
The tuition fees for each level are as follows:
– Bachelor’s degree: In Australia, there are 2 semesters in February and July, or sometimes in November. The tuition fees range from AUD 22,000 – 40,000 per year.
– Diploma certificate: In Australia, there are 2 semesters in February and July. Either at TAFE or good quality of private institutions, the tuition fees range from AUD 12,000 – 18,000 per year. General private institutions offer mid-range tuition fees approximately AUD 5,500 – 7,500, operating in 4 semesters; each semester take 9 weeks and school break of 3 weeks.
4) Prepare financial evidence
According to the new policy of SSVF, dated on July 1, 2016, all institutions are classified into 3 levels.
Level 1 and 2, the student must prepare evidence of financial statement and English ability, but maybe or maybe not called for submission.
Level 3, the student must submit evidence of 6-month financial statement and English ability.
Therefore, it is recommended that students in Level 1 and 2 should submit Certificate of Balance or Bank Guarantee showing current financial status, instead of 6-month period financial statement. For the students in the Level 3, the evidence of 6-month financial statement must be enclosed.
The tuition fees and other expenses are estimated at approximately 800,000 – 1,000,000 THB, depending on your selected course.
Other issues to be considered:
– Completion date of the course and visa
– CoE(s), Visa, Passport, Transcript
– Your plan to leave for Thailand
Fill out the form to extend your visa, click the link below.
Our team will send you the quotation with the details of your interested institutions as well as the next process you need to follow up with. Especially if you are already in Australia, we will help you make an appointment with the institutions so that you can visit the institutions up on your earliest convenience. We are here to help you make a right decision.